Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Let me tell you about Uganda


I have written and rewritten this post so many times since I've been home. I feel like there is so much to share-the food, the culture, the people, the atmosphere, the daily life, etc-but I don't really have the words to do my experience justice. Instead, though, I have some (of the 650+) pictures below that might paint better pictures. What I can say about the trip, though, was that I learnt a lot. So much more than I was anticipating. It was a study abroad/internship, so I knew learning would be involved. But I didn't just learn about feminism and women's issues and domestic violence. God taught me so much more in my time there. Going into the trip I had been praying that God would make me uncomfortable in my time in Uganda. I was excited to be completely dependent on God while I was there since I knew I would have little communication with my family and because this wasn't a mission trip, it was a study abroad program. That first week I got there I was so uncomfortable, I did not like it. I felt weird, I felt out of place, and I was really missing the "comfort" of home. I had to have a talking with God, telling him I didn't mean that type of uncomfortable, but the more manageable, comfortable type of uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure he laughed at me and patted my head as He continued to lead me (perhaps even drag me at times) through my time there.  But I really learnt what it meant to lean on God in frustrating, confusing, uncomfortable situations. I learned the importance of being disciplined with reading my Bible and praying and continuing to seek Him in situations. I'm not saying I've now got it mastered, but I do know that in my worldly uncomfortableness I felt comfortable in His hands. I also got to check out a couple churches while I was there. But I absolutely completely fell in love with the second one I attended.  It's called Watoto Church and it's in the center of the city. I was nervous to attend it with a friend I met at work because of how big it is. But the moment I walked into those doors I knew I was surrounded by people who love Jesus like nothing else. Worship was absolutely incredible and my heart was just overflowing with joy for Him. I have tried and failed to find the right words to describe what I felt during that service, but I do know God's presence was very real and very alive in that church. It was such a celebration of who God is and our love for Him. I was so bummed (like, SO bummed) that I would only be able to attend one service, because seriously, it was an experience I wanted to have more than once. I had even joked (or was I joking?) with my parents that I was going to pay the $300 flight change fee so I could stay one more weekend to attend one more service. But Saturday night Alex and I were walking back to my house when we heard lots of noise coming from the church. And I may have squealed in the middle of the street after I remembered they had Saturday night service. And what do you know, that service was for college students! It was so awesome! So awesome. Definitely a highlight of my trip. I don't think I will ever forget that church or what I felt during those two services. 
































My confession: I'm still trying to readjust back to life here in the States. It's been a lot more difficult than I thought it would be (and not just because my body keeps waking me up at 7am every day...seriously, self! sleep in now while you still can!). But I feel a lot of sadness and heaviness about being back. I miss life back in Uganda and I miss the people and atmosphere and culture. I know each day will be a little closer to becoming readjusted, but I think I'm struggling with whether or not I want to be readjusted (answer: I don't want to be readjusted. Because I know I saw and learnt things and changed it would be step backwards if I were to just go back to how I was living prior to my time in Uganda.). So now I'm trying to figure out how to take what I learnt and how to now apply it to my life here. Prayers would be much appreciated as I tread in these new waters and try to learn how to navigate through this transition.  I absolutely loved my time there and would have no problem at all talking more about it if you want! I am so glad my parents let their baby bird fly the nest across the ocean! I feel like I learnt so much and like I grew way more than I ever would have thought! Fingers crossed, but I would love LOVE to go back one day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment